Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Proudest Pieces of Work




An example of work that I ended up being really proud of was my American Icon project. That is because I enjoyed the multiple components that worked together to complete it. By having the freedom to pick the icon of my choice and the ability to represent myself though her, it made the process much more interesting and fun. The steps that I took to accomplish this was to first research my icon and figure out how I could express her through a photo of me. Audrey Hepburn and I both loved helping and volunteering to benefit children, so that was the main focus of my essay. After completing several drafts of my writing, I needed to take my picture. I dressed myself with clothes Audrey would have worn and in my picture I’m with two girls. In the center of the picture, on construction paper it says a famous line Audrey once said “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other”. I felt that the picture expressed Audrey’s compassion and mine for children. That we had more in common then I first thought we did, and the fact that I was able to represent so much in a photograph felt really good. I was really proud of what I accomplished.

To see more about my American Icon Project, click the link to my digital portfolio here.


My first Rough Draft of my Video


A recent example of work that I am proud of was my H2O water project. The reason why I am so proud of it was because I never used iMovie HD and I felt the need to push my computer skills since I always have technical difficulties. I wanted to do something different than I’m used to and I wanted to experiment with new things and programs to come up with a product. The steps I took to complete my project were long and hard. At first I had to come with my question, and then have the research to answer it. My question was, “How does the La Jolla Friends of the Seals organization affect the seals, the society, and the community of La Jolla?”. I made story boards of how I wanted to structure my video, and watched other videos to get examples of how I wanted my video to look like. After my research I needed to get a hold of someone to interview, so by calling various numbers and contacting multiple people, I was finally able to get a connection with Jerry Horna who was the president of the organization. I had the opportunity to get a ride down to La Jolla to interview Jerry and two other volunteers, plus get footage of the seals. I also wanted to interview students at HTHMA who visited the La Jolla Children’s pool often and see what they knew about the seals and organization. Once I had all my footage I began to put my film together, and after the second critique I decided to put an introduction, rearrange and cut most of my clips. Once I had the film down I was able to write out my transcript, along with finishing the final draft of my video. I really like how it came out in the end because I came a long way to get to my final product and it really shows that through my video.

The Final Draft of my video

No comments: