Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What I Learned Throughout Immersion!

There are many things I learned during my two week experience of immersion. Something really important was that I had to get familiar with the program Excel, and I wasn't good at it. However, my internship project had a lot to do with Excel and I had to be open to using it even though I came across many problems. I learned a lot about the program and I got a good chance to play around with it to see what it could do.

My mentor wanted me to take dance classes so that I could become really familiar with what they do. They said that through dancing I'd have the opportunity to experience what they do first hand. By taking all the dance classes I've learned a lot about the techniques and culture about modern dance. I'm even getting better at dancing it myself.

I learned what its like back stage by going to shows and performances, and then being allowed to go back stage. I even got the chance to meet all the dancers/actors, play with their props, and look around the stage. That being the glamourous part of internship, I was also introduced to the not so glamourous. As part of the “real experience” I got to also help out with cleaning the dance studio, which was very dirty.

I also attended a business meeting, “Selling San Diego Without Selling Out”. I learned meetings are very boring unless you like their really bad jokes about cooking shows.

Other things I learned was how to use my time and resources. When doing my project, going through all the piles of newspapers drained me fast. It was so tedious and time consuming that my short attention span would fade so fast. What I'd end up trying to do is to mix up my days so that I'm not doing one thing for such a long amount of time. Like I would go through a stack of papers, then try to do something active like run an errand, put away costumes, or go check the mail. Then go back to the newspapers, and repeat. Time went by faster that way, and I was more productive.

No comments: