Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Newpaper Self Evaluation Project


In my eleventh grade humanities class me and my group consisted of Paul Santillan and Rodrigo Arrieta. The purpose of our project was to make a newspaper regarding the second famous Lincoln and Douglas debate held in Freeport Illinois. The newspaper had to be made as if we wrote it back when the event was occurring in 1858.
What I feel was the most important thing I specifically contributed to my group was organization. The reason for that is because on the very first day we started working on our project I made sure that everyone knew the topic they were going to write about for their first rough draft. My partners and I kept in contact so I could help them with questions they would have, and they could help me with mine. I wrote the main article on the Lincoln Douglas debate so I had the better understanding on what events were occurring at the time because of all the extra research I had to do. Even though I never used InDesign, Paul was wonderful with it. However, I stayed with him contributing all the small ideas I had to incorporate into our newspaper. I also wrote the mini articles displayed at the bottom of the paper, with the help of my partners of course. I also helped critique my partners papers as they critiqued mine.
Something I wish I could have improved on would be my skills with InDesign. I have never used the program before so I could not do much besides assist Paul with whatever he needed me to do. I felt that if I had more experience with the program I could have been able to contribute a whole lot more and help in many different ways.
I found the process of completing the newspaper to be not that difficult. My group was very hardworking and we did use our time and resources very productively. We hardly ever got off task, and we completed what we said we were going to do. I was able to depend on my teammates and I like that feeling. Maybe a resource we could have gotten more out of could have been through the books Randy provided us. Instead we just found the internet to be a faster and easier source. Nevertheless it was a true team effort to get our project done.

No comments: