Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Journal Entry

I feel like I don’t care as much for the presidential debates as much as I should. I know they affect me and I know its important but I feel neutral about Obama and McCain. The reason I feel that way is because I don’t know about either of them that much. I don’t know all their plans and I don’t know all they stand for. Thats why I’m not either glad or mad about the election.

My hopes for America and my community in the next few years would be that the right choices would be made. That people get the help they need, no more wars in Iraq, better funding, more jobs for workers, less homeless, helping the economy and overall a better future for our generation and for generations to come.

My concerns include prop 8, because whether it passes or not, its not the end. There will be riots, fights, lawsuits, and chaos. People would be capable of suing the churches of their beliefs for being “sexist” of gays. People are making this way bigger of a situation then it has to be, and people are picking a side and automatically hating the ones who choose another.

Evaluate your own level of civic knowledge.
Honestly my level of civic knowledge is just a decent amount. I know of some current events, and I understand historic situations and amendments, but I am not all well informed.

What have we done well in this class to help you understand current events?
This discussions we had in class has really helped me understand current events because I am able to hear everyone's opinions and they can help clarify all my questions. It actually has a big impact on my understanding and it helps me remember the information later on.

What could we do better in attempting to understand current events?
Well I would suggest more socratic seminars so that everyone is forced to ask questions and to discuss what they know. There then becomes a clarity where everyone is on the same page.

How do you feel in the numerous conversations about current events that take place outside of class?
I feel that a lot of the conversations with other people are really stupid. People would say that they “hate” Obama, or they “hate” Palin or “hate” McCain, and when asked why, they don’t know. The reason for that is that people tend to choose the popular vote. Depending on their surroundings they would be influenced and persuaded in different ways. I don’t see how someone can “hate” one of the candidates for dumb reasons other then straight up facts. They never met the person, and they don’t really know who they are. I find this generation really immature and it reminds me of high school girls gossiping about others trying to ruin their reputations. Hate is a strong word and shouldn’t be fooled around with.

No comments: